[vc_row full_width="" parallax="" parallax_image=""][vc_column width="1/1"][vc_column_text]Instructions for Space Cleansing and Purification
Why is it a good idea to perform a spiritual cleansing?
Performing a spiritual cleansing of a home or sacred space, whether it is done indoors or outdoors, removes negative energy that may cause disruptions or distractions. In essence, you are clearing and blessing the space to make it a much more pleasant place to live, work, or use. There are many ways to perform ritual cleansings. The following is a simple method that has worked for me over the years. For questions or comments regarding your experiences, please e-mail me at DianeWing@forestwitch.com.
What materials do I need?
- Holy Water (optional)
- Sage oil mixed with distilled or pure water in an atomizer (used instead of burning materials for those with smoke allergies)
- Sage Desert sage or white sage, depending on personal preference
- Sweetgrass braid
- Cedar or sandalwood incense, depending on personal preference
Order incense, sage wands (white sage or sagebrush), sweetgrass braids, and Holy Water from
Forest Witch Mystical Products.
Whats the difference between desert sage and white sage?
Desert sage looks like brown twigs bundled together and gives off a sweet fragrance. White sage looks like a bundled bunch of grayish dried leaves. White sage smells more like ritual smoke. Both are good to use in the cleansing ritual depending upon your personal preference.
Step-by-step instructions for ritual cleansing:
- Before performing a cleansing of a space, its best to cleanse yourself, mentally, emotionally, and physically. For the physical cleansings, take a shower and use a sea salt scrub with peppermint or take a hot bath with sea salts. For the mental and emotional aspect, as you bathe, picture all frustrations, annoyances, and disappointments leaving you and pouring down the drain along with the dirty water.
- Put on fresh, clean clothes that are comfortable. Light-colored, natural fabrics work well in most cases. If you are performing the cleansing ritual as a result of highly negative activity, its best to wear black clothing to protect yourself from whatever is causing the disruption.
- See yourself surrounded by white light and beam it out as far as you can. This protective shell will serve to allow you to complete the ritual safely.
- Picture whatever force will be helping you with the cleansing (God, gods, goddesses, watchers, elemental forces, etc.) and ask for assistance.
- When you arrive at the space you will be cleansing, take a moment to meditate on your purpose for being there. Take several deep breaths and let all tension leave you.
- Upon entering the home or space, sprinkle Holy Water and say, Gods peace be in this home and in all who live here. Optional, but recommended.
- Light the sage, sweetgrass braid, and incense (cedar or sandalwood). Once they begin to glow, blow out the flame. Put them in a shell or fireproof bowl to avoid burning anything.
- Pick up the sage wand and beginning at the entrance of the house or other space, move counterclockwise through the space. This direction is called wittershins and is the direction used for banishing unwanted energy. If you feel so compelled, you may also clear the space moving in a clockwise direction. Try it both ways and see which feels right to you. Move along the entire perimeter of the home, waving the smoldering sage wand up and down or in a circular motion to allow the smoke to permeate the area. Outline windows and doorways, open closets and cabinets, to insure that there is no place for the negative energy to hide. As you wave the wand, say the prayer that appears at the end of this section. If you have a favorite psalm or prayer you feel comfortable with, then feel free to use that instead.
- If the home has more than floor, cleanse the main floor first, then proceed to the other floors.
- Once this is complete, pick up the sweetgrass braid and move around the perimeter once again, this time in a clockwise direction. Imagine light reaching to every corner of the space.
- At the end of this portion of the cleansing, thank whatever Powers helped you to clear the space and declare that this space is now filled with love, light, peace, and happiness.
- Cleansings can be done whenever you feel it needs it. Symptoms that tell you the space needs to be cleared include a heavy feeling in the air, unusual or more frequent moodiness of the people living in the space, a stretch of bad luck, or any other type of disruption taking place.
- In between cleansings, the area can be kept clear by burning cedar or sandalwood incense and by being thankful for the many wonderful things in your life.
Blessing of Homes and sacred spaces
[Upon entering the home say]: God's peace be in this home and in all who live here.
Our help is in the name of the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.
Lord God almighty, bless this home that it be the shelter of health, purity, and self-control; that there prevail here a spirit of humility, goodness, mildness, obedience to the commandments, and gratitude to God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. May this blessing remain on this place and on those who live here now and always. Amen (It is sprinkled with holy water).
Purify me with hyssop, Lord, and I shall be clean of sin. Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Have mercy on me, God, in your great kindness.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. Lord heed my prayer. And let my cry be heard by you.
Hear me, holy Lord and Father, almighty everlasting God, and in your goodness send your holy angel from heaven to watch over and protect all who live in this home, to be with them and give them comfort and encouragement; through Christ our Lord. Amen.
God the Father almighty, we fervently implore you for the sake of this home and its occupants and possessions, that you may bless and sanctify them, enriching them by your kindness in every way possible. Pour out on them, Lord, heavenly dew in good measure, as well as an abundance of earthly needs. Mercifully listen to their prayers, and grant that their desires be fulfilled. At our lowly coming be pleased to bless and sanctify this home, as you once were pleased to bless and sanctify the home of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Within these walls let your angels of light preside and stand watch over those who live here, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
[Repeat until entire home is blessed.]
In the addition to the above prayer, when you come upon particularly unruly energy, clear it using this banishing spell by Dion Fortune:
In the Name which is above every other name, and in the power of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, I exorcise all influences and seeds of evil; I lay upon them the spell of Christs Holy Church, that they may be bound fast as with chains and cast into outer darkness, that they trouble not the servants of God.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]